Sunday, February 13, 2011

Week 3

Male Model Contour
Hello Again!

Wow, week 3 has flew by. I have learned a lot in the past week since the last post. In class we have learned about the ribs and how to draw them. We have been practicing a lot because being able to draw the "egg" of the ribs can make or break your drawing. The rib cage is formed like an egg, becoming narrow and small at the top and then growing wider as it comes down. Yes, the ribcage is hollow, but we are not drawing the inside, just the outside. It helps to think about the egg shape since in different poses, the egg "shape" stays the same but the angle you draw it differs. We also have gotten the privelege of drawing a female model on Thursday. I have gotten opinions saying that the female body is easier to draw. I beg to differ. I DO NOT think so because you are not able to see the ribcage "egg" as well. I would much rather draw a male model at this point since it is easier to see the muscles and bones that Professor Fichter wants us to draw.



Male Model Contour
"Egg" Ribcage and Spine Sketches
We also got assignments for our mannequins. LeRoy got some rib and ab muscles put on him. I am also working on his butt muscles but I am not quite finished so the pictures of LeRoy will be posted next week.  I have come to like shaping and forming the clay muscles on LeRoy. The anatomy of LeRoy gives me understanding of what muscles are under the skin of the model I am drawing. However, I think learning how to draw the "egg" is very important, just as is the spine. I am looking forward to learning more on Tuesday and Thursday.

I have also found out that I very much enjoy drawing contour drawings. I think they give me a good understanding of drawing the 3D item in front of me. I enjoy drawing every little bump and lump around joints and muscles. It gives me a chance to show detail without shading or values.

Until Next Week,

Chelsey

2 comments:

  1. your contour drawings look nice, they have been giving me trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you in terms of finding the rib cage or egg with a female model. Maybe it was because it was our first time with a female model but i agree it was hard to really get that form.
    In general though i completely agree with your comments on the egg shape. It seems like it is a crucial part of the drawing in order really get idea of the body shape.
    Your drawings are looking good so far though... Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete