Saturday, February 19, 2011

Week 4

Hello All!

Gesture Drawing with Spine, Ribs, and Pelvis
I hope everyone had a great week! I had a very busy week, what with all the Scott Walker stuff and all. Therefore, this week we did not have a lot of drawing class. Instead, we got to stand up for our teachers and all the hard work we do. I just want to say that I truly appreciate my professors and all the effort they put into giving us feedback and honest one-on-one time with students.
Gesture Drawing with Spine, Ribs, and Pelvis
 Even with all the bill ruckus, we still managed to get a little drawing in. We have been learning how to draw the body from an inside, then out, standpoint. So far we had learned the spine curves, and the "egg" ribcage. On Thursday, we learned about the pelvis. We learned the hip points in the front and back and how they curve on the sides and change planes. I did not have any trouble learning and understanding the ribcage being an egg form, however with the pelvic bones, I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. I think once Amy drills the concept into our brains a little more, then we will start to understand the plane changes and where to look for certain drawing decisions.
My pelvis drawings are very "sketchy" and I do not think they are accurate at all. I struggled with them a little in the beginning, trying to visualize all the bones as a whole, instead of thinking in parts. In this case I learned that if I think about the different aspects and plane changes, then I could potentially map out the point and simply "connect the dots". Easier said than done.
We had a male model on Thursday. I must say that old habits die hard, I am much more accustomed to drawing the male body versus the female. I'm sure Amy will mix up the two genders fairly often, but at this point in time, I prefer male. It is a lot easier to see the bones and major muscle groups that she wants us to draw. 

Well, until next week...
Chelsey



 

2 comments:

  1. I would have to agree with you on a lot this week. First off i think you have a good start to your drawings so i can imagine by the end of this week your gesture drawings will be looking really good. I too was having difficulty grasping this part of the body to draw.
    I also agree with your comments about our teachers and i am glad that you we were both able to support all that they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I am definitely having trouble with the pelvic bone. I feel like I need another lecture about it so I don’t end up spending a whole class drawing what I think is right when it wasn’t and I have to undo all that learning.

    ReplyDelete