Sunday, February 27, 2011

Week 5

Hello all!

This week we got to learn a lot on how to draw the pelvis. I had some trouble with it at first but then eventually began to understand the way the hips come up so high. I thought I was making the butt muscles of our models so big, but when you really look at it, the hips do come up that high. I found that I am more comfortable in drawing the back view, I can see the butt muscles better as well as where the hip bones turn on the side into the front.
This is NOT my drawing, this is a reference I found very helpful.

To help me understand how to draw gesture drawings better, I looked online at some gesture drawings of other artists out there. I thought that would be my picture of the week since it did help me better understand the form of the pelvis. I found some great examples on how to draw in the lower half, and to visualize through the skin and down to the bones. I can see that my drawings are not TOO off from the examples I found, but they do need some improvement. I will hopefully be able to pick out the hip muscles and such very quickly by next week.

This week, specifically Thursday, went a little slow. I was not in the best of health, so, feeling dizzy and mucus-filled I trotted through class, struggling to concentrate and zone in on my drawings. I did give my attention to Amy when she spoke of our upcoming midterm portfolio review. This makes me a little nervous, since she and others say that she is a very hard grader, expecting a lot. So, we will have to photograph our 10 best drawings as well as 3 different angles of LeRoy, my clay mannequin. LeRoy.. oh LeRoy. He is looking pretty hunky. He now has butt muscles, and quad muscles, and will hopefully next week (or the week after next) have calves and shoulders.

Until Next Week.
Chelsey

1 comment:

  1. First off i hope you are feeling better. Being sick is never any fun.
    I had trouble with the pelvis as well. And i completely agree the backside was much easier to grasp as it was easier to find the parts we were searching for. I think that looking up others gesture drawing was a good idea. I think in the case of this class seeing how someone else goes about creating these figures can only help ourselves as we try to do the same thing.
    I am nervous about review as well but remember this is just so we can see where we are now and what we need to improve on. So don't worry just do your best and Im sure that Amy will work with us all in order to make our improvements by the end.

    ReplyDelete