Sunday, March 27, 2011

Shoulders

Hello All,

DaVinci's Shoulder Study
 This week was all about working the shoulders, literally. We learned about the shoulder blade as well as the muscles around it. We learned mainly where to look for the muscles, and how to draw the simple triangle of the blade. I thought this was going to be very difficult. And at first, it was very difficult. I did not realize that the shoulder blade went half way down the back of the ribs. This was tricky since at first I was drawing this dinky triangle as the shoulder blades.
I did also find out that I need about 2 minutes to each get to the shoulders. We did a lot of gesture drawings on Tuesday, and I have to tell you that I could not for the life of me get to the shoulders. I would draw the spine, ribs (egg), hips, start of the legs and then the beeper would go off. I had to get the "egg" right so I concentrate most of my time on that, so it took forever to even get a hint on the shoulders in within the 30 second and 1 minute gestures. Finally, when the time was increased to two minutes could I then add the shoulders with some time to refine them.
As my picture this week, I chose to show DaVinci's shoulder studies. He does a very good job defining the muscles and curves the the shading of them is just jaw-dropping. I wish I could draw like DaVinci. 
After the gesture drawings, we moved on to a longer pose. We were told to specifically concentrate on the shoulders and arms. I had a pretty decent drawing by the end. Amy had come around to help me and helped me with the muscles. After that was done, I better understood the armpit and how the muscles formed it. I put a lot of contour around it and made the elbow very boney.
I have yet to master the shoulders in the one drawing session we had, but I hopefully will learn to draw them without any help.
As for LeRoy, well he has a ways to go before we can call him finished. This week we had two muscle assignments which will bulk him up in the shoulders and upper arms. After this I imagine we will concentrate on the lower arm and hand, which I have a feeling will be very delicate.

Until Next Week,

Chelsey

1 comment:

  1. I had difficulty with getting everything in the shorter gesture drawings as well. I would have to agree that it seemed like 2 minutes for me at this point was just the right amount of time to get everything in. I think the picture you posted does a great job detailing what we have gone over this week too.

    ReplyDelete