Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hands

Hello All,

This past week we mastered HANDS! Boy o boy, hands are difficult. I think the hands frustrate me three times more than feet. I think the wrist is throwing me for a loop. The foot is longer and has the big toe jutting right out of the top, just like all the other toes. With drawing the hand, the thumb is lower and connected to the hand base totally different than the rest of the fingers. The thumb also only has two sections where the fingers have three. We had to draw at least one of each "type" of drawing. One was supposed to be of just the model's hand posing. The second was supposed to be of a skeleton hand. Many thought that drawing the model was harder thant drawing the skeleton. I, however, enjoyed drawing the model's hand over drawing the skeleton. The skeleton had so much detail that I think it psyched me out. With the model, I felt at ease, drawing in my own "norm".

Hand Drawing A Hand
I thought the picture of this week would be a little light-hearted and fun. I wanted to post the famous hand drawing a hand since we concentrated so much on hands. I think this drawing is funny since it goes in a loop of 2D to 3D and so on and so forth. This hand drawing represents my frustration of drawing hands. The progress grows and then stops short and then starts to grow and then stops short again. It will be like this until I completely get comfortable with the new drawing "norm" as well as the difference from hands to feet. 

Speaking of drawing in my "norm", this past Tuesday Amy made us draw "correctly". This whole time our class was drawing like we were handwriting. I guess this was the most comfortable position we knew. However, there is a much better way to draw. With drawing with your shoulder rather than your wrist, you are able to get more movement in your drawing, creating more smooth transitions than with just your wrist. I had a hard time breaking the handwriting pose habit, but I tried and tried. I think it is true that you are able to get more space in drawing with your shoulder than wrist, but it's getting accustomed to the technique that is going to be difficult.

Well, see you next week!

Chelsey

1 comment:

  1. I agree that hands are more difficult then the feet. The thumb does throw a person for a loop at first too. Not nearly as easy as the big toe.
    Also i enjoy your hand drawing hand picture which you posted.

    ReplyDelete