Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Final Portfolio Post

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kosmatkac/sets/

Here is my Final Portfolio! Enjoy!
p.s. The Self Portrait will be added soon~

Hello All!

Wow this semester has gone by SO incredibly fast!
I can't believe we are in the final days of Spring 2011.
So for this final post I need to reflect on my semester in my Life Drawing Class.


Life Drawing this semester has been the ultimate experience for drawing. I have learned so much, not only in drawing either. I have gained knowledge of the body and muscles that I was never aware of.
Learning to draw a human form in 3D is certainly difficult. But for those who want a challenge, this class is totally worth it. Amy, our professor, is the sweetest person, but she does grade tough. She bites the bullet if she sees you not working hard. Although, I do have to say that I almost depend on her feedback since she is so helpful.
For someone thinking about taking this class, I would have to say DO IT! If you like to draw and you enjoyed Drawing 1 and 2, then this class is great. However, the drawing we do in Life Drawing is nothing hardly at all like the drawing you do in Drawing 1 & 2. The approach is totally and completely new and different. You are learning about basing your drawings off of wireframe techniques and learning to draw contour lines instead of shading.
The class starts off with gesture drawings, learning how to draw the body, inside out basically. You learn to draw the ribs as an egg, which is weird at first but after a couple of weeks, it becomes totally natural. Then the spine and hips are added in. They look like sophisticated stick people when you first start, but it gets better!
Then we start to draw long poses, this is the tough part. Drawing the object, or in this case, person in front of you is difficult especially when you’re brand new at it.
Trust me, you get over the “naked” part of it a couple of minutes into the class.
The hard part is to make the drawing look and feel 3D. This is where contour lines are your best friend. They reveal show much more detail than just drawing an outline of your figure.  
Overall, this class is challenging but it is good to know to learn how to draw something in line and not depend on the shading. At the end, such as in our self-portraits, she lets you bring it all together and add minimal shading. You go through a lot of newsprint, but I thought it was worth it.

Thank you for viewing my blog this past semester!
Hope you have a good rest of the year.
I will probably be putting this blog under construction to link all my profile “stuff” together. See you soon!

Chelsey Kosmatka

No comments:

Post a Comment